10.02.2009

As You Etch our Initials

September 2009 You etch our initials into my arm As I stand there with furrowed brow bewildered as to how you got so close to touch me. The first cut catches me off guard my head spinning as I watch a stream of blood form down my wrist you see the startled look in my eyes and quickly lick up the blood and pat my head I breathe in You breathe out: "good girl". I pity you in your desperate attempts to make your mark in my life so I let you make the second cut as I hold my breath to fight the pain Your hands are steady as you carve but your heart is a trembling mountain of insecurities Your hands can lie, but your eyes cannot. Two days pass and you finish your work then make your leave but though the mark is made my skin is nurtured and determined to heal I will mend the wounds in the days to follow and keep my distance the next time around my skin will not be as strong to withstand the pain and heal past the branding that you are so determined to inflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment

unknown photographer

unknown photographer

Sally Mann

Sally Mann