10.02.2009

The Voices of Memory’s Ghost

February 2009

I.

Four spring silhouettes climb the salt kissed stairs

ahead of me

the ocean hugs my ankles

devours my toes

I step out of its safe grasps

into gusty chills.

The tall figure lurks along that grey-jagged wall

I approach

he approaches

quivering legs of a fawn

my mind scatters in alizarin confusion

Violation.

I'm running

unsteady

feathers shot out of a cannon.

The clock prowls six p.m., seven, eight

they come

they go

i leave with them

but my eyes are stone and theirs are an eclipse.

Tethered to my own demise

memory is buried beneath

blankets of empty disguise

i will forget

i will forget

II.

He looks into the mirrors that have become my eyes

i look at him looking at me

looking at him

desolation extends

between us

stale passivity seeps out of my pores

i am too far gone

away from anyone's grasp

but he has reached me.

Our gaze becomes my canvas

as I redraw the pieces of myself

that I have erased

discarded

disowned

He tells me I am

normal

a concept that I have long since

given up on

like an awaited season that passed

never to return.

We all decide what to do with

the voices that torture our existence.

I will take a walk with them

barefoot in the morning dew

sit down with them

in the

soft hush of the night's air

and for the first time

properly introduce myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

unknown photographer

unknown photographer

Sally Mann

Sally Mann